Every private charter jet is not created equally. This is important to know – especially since each charter booking has its own set of needs. For instance, an individual traveling solo for business purposes may prefer a smaller jet that still allows for a bit of work space. On the other hand, a group of college students pitching together to charter a jet for spring break are going to want more space and different amenities.
Depending on what your needs are and how long (or short) of a distance the travel to your destination is, you can determine the perfect private charter jet for you. And, because there are so many to choose from, we’ve decided to make your travel planning easier by breaking down the details of some of the most popular jets used for charters.
Which Size of Private Charter Jet Should You Choose?
Depending on your reasons for traveling, and the number of people you are traveling with, you will have to choose a general size of private charter. These range from light jets, to midsize jets, to heavy aircraft.
Majority of private airplanes will fall into the following categories:
- Light Jets
- Midsize Jets
- Heavy Jets
- Jumbo Jets
Once you determine the amount of people traveling, you can then find the perfect charter jet for you and your group.
Midsize jets typically hold approximately 7-8 passengers and are generally very comfortable. They do well for flights that are up to 4 to 5 hours in length.
Here are a few types of private charter jets you may consider choosing for your trip:
- Bombardier/Learjet LR-55. This is one of the most popular midsize jets and was manufactured between 1981 and 1991. This business jet was designed to transport up to 7 passengers, with a lavatory and adequate baggage storage.
- Gulfstream G-200. Manufactured between 1999 and 2011, this private charter jet is equipped to hold up to 9 passengers. It offers a full lavatory, too.
- Cessna CE-650-VII. This midsize jet was manufactured between 1991 and 2000. It has room for 8 passengers and offers a full lavatory. They are known to have good baggage capacities.
Heavy jets are used when you have a greater number of passengers flying.They are incredibly comfortable flying jets that allow for room to easily move about the cabin.
It is common to have a flight attendant when chartering a heavy private charter jet. It is important to note that these are the jets used for longer travel – including transcontinental.
A few popular heavy jets are:
- Bombardier/Challenger CL-604. Seven windows line each side of the aircraft andit has a full lavatory. These jets can typically hold 10 to 12 passengers, though, a few more in some instances.
- Bombardier BD-700-1A10. This heavy jet was designed as a long-range business jet. It can go great distances at great speeds. And, it is capable of comfortably carrying 14 passengers.
- Gulfstream G550. If you are looking for the top of the line in chartered business jets, the high-performance, Gulfstream G550 is it. This heavy jet is recognized as the safest, most comfortable and most reliable heavy jet in the air. Its range in distance is greater than others, too.
Light jets were designed for short distances and do not offer as much comfort or mobility as some other choice charters. However, if you are looking to keep your costs down, you may find that a light jet is a perfect fit.
Consider these private charter jet options:
- Cessna CE-525B. This is a favorite jet by many who frequently charter. They are decently fast, comfortable, and newer on the market. The Cessna CE-525B holds up to 6 passengers and provides an enclosed lavatory.
- Cessna CE-560-E. The Cessna Encore aircraft can hold up to 8 passengers. It is a late-model jet that offers more headroom than many others in its class. However, it comes at the cost of the width. This light jet looks nice and has upgraded fixtures and seating.
- Bombardier/Learjet LR-40. This is another late-model jet that offers room for up to 6 passengers. It offers very little in the way of headroom, but it does have an enclosed lavatory. This just usually comes at a premium cost.
Are you looking for a smaller private charter jet to take you a shorter distance? Sometimes you want to luxury and comfort of a chartered private jet when traveling a shorter distance, rather than having to waste more time in the airport and with security checkpoints than it could take you to drive to your destination! In this instance, you would likely want to seek out a turbo-prop.
Turbo-props are perfect for short trips, such as those that range from 100-600 miles in distance. While they can sometimes carry up to 9 passengers, this will vary with the jet.
However, they generally always have decent baggage space. Unfortunately, though, you will not likely find a lavatory.
- Cessna CE-208B. This turbo-prop can hold up to 8 passengers. This popular jet has a good track record and provides a great level of comfort for an aircraft of its size.
- Beechcraft BE-350. This jet is one of the larger models of turbo-props. In fact, it has a passenger capacity of 10. And, you will even find a lavatory on board.
- British Aerospace BAE-4100. You will be surprised to learn that this jet can seat up to 15 passengers. This is perfect for those looking to transport larger groups to short-distance destinations. However, if you are looking for comfort and luxury amenities, you will not often find them here.
Lastly, for those who have large parties to transport and are looking to charter, rather than fly commercially, then you will need a jumbo jet. Check these out:
- Boeing757 200. This aircraft can go long-distance and hold up to 70 passengers. It is comfortable and welcoming, allowing passengers to freely move about.
- Airbus A320. Another long-distance jumbo jet, this one holds up to 60 passengers. This aircraft is an easy way to travel with large groups.
- Boeing Business Jet. If you are looking for the ultimate in private charter jet, then you have found it. This jumbo jet holds up to 20 passengers, but that is not because it is small. It has a bedroom, a dining area, a living room, and so forth.
As you can see, every private charter jet just isn’t created equal. That means you have many options when planning your next travel adventure.
Choose the private jet that is the perfect size and comfort for your needs – then relax and enjoy your flight.