Many people dream about flying on a private jet to their destination, but not everyone is willing or able to cover the cost of doing so. It is not a secret that private jets can often come with a hefty price tag. Though, all the perks that come with this travel method make it worthwhile.
For those who have always wanted to know what the experience is like without having to pay full price, you may want to consider investing in an empty leg flight.
What is it? How does it work? Where do you find one? Here is your guide to taking an empty leg trip.
What is an Empty Leg Flight?
In the world of aviation, a flight from point A to point B is referred to as a leg. Even if a flight had multiple stops, each stretch of travel is considered a leg. So, an empty leg is one in which the jet is empty — there are no travelers.
Empty legs occur due to passengers taking one-way flights or because charter companies need to re-position a jet for a future flight.
Because the jet is going from one airport to the next, it will offer a discounted flight to those who are headed in the same direction. Just how discounted the travel is or isn’t will vary based on each specific flight.
How to Search For Empty Leg Flights
Knowing about empty leg flights is one thing, but knowing how to search for and find one is another thing.
You are not going to easily find empty leg flights like you would when booking commercial travel. There is not always going to be a jet with an empty leg traveling from Los Angeles to Seattle on a Tuesday at 4:00pm. Rather, these flights are sporadic — and you may or may not find one available that is going to the destination you had in mind and at the time and date you prefer. However, if you can be flexible with your travel, you can save yourself some money.
The key is to know how to search for empty leg flights.
Your best place to start is a reputable charter company that is based out of your location. They will usually wait to ensure no one else is going to book the flight and then list them on their website as an empty leg. This is precisely why most are last minute bookings.
Doing an online search for empty leg flights from your area will also turn up results. There are some websites that pull all of those from charter companies and list them.Since the idea is to save money, be cautious when booking through a third-party as you may end up paying more than if you just went directly though the charter company.
What Can You Expect?
What can you expect on an empty leg flight? Although the private jet experience is always incredible, there are a few differences when it comes to booking empty legs. After all, empty leg flights are traveling with a purpose and you are just going along for the ride. A very nice, comfortable ride.
- Food. You won’t likely be able to order a catered meal or expect to have any sort of refreshments on board your flight. You may find drinks and light snacks, but this is not always a guarantee so be sure to bring yours along.
- Flexibility. When flying private, you are the passenger. Usually, you are able to call ahead if you are running behind and the jet will wait for you. An empty leg flight offers much less flexibility when it comes to time changes and delays. The flight crew has an itinerary they need to stick to — so if you are running late, you may be left behind.
- Personalization. Private charters are known for their personalizations. They cater to their clients. But don’t expect an overly personalized experience on an empty leg flight.
Don’t let this get you down. Traveling on an empty leg still comes with plenty of perks, luxury, and comfort that you won’t want to miss.
The Amazing Benefits
Since we have talked about the limitations on empty leg travel, it is only fair that we discuss the benefits of it, too.
- Time savings. Traveling on a private jet saves you time. You don’t have to show up hours early to a busy airport and wait in long lines to get through security. Instead, you can show up a few minutes before your flight. You also save time by having a non-stop flight with very little chance of delay— especially since they fly at higher altitudes and are less likely to be disrupted by weather.
- Convenience. Flying out of smaller airports means less traffic, less people, and less hassle. There are no baggage issues and you can bring your own food, beverages, and even pets along with you without question. There is convenience at every turn.
- Privacy. Private jets are, well, private. Even on an empty leg, when you book the flight, it is yours. There are no strangers that come along for the ride. This makes it more comfortable to enjoy your flight.
- Luxury. As always, private jets are luxurious. They come with comfortable seating and inflight amenities that can transform the meaning of air travel.
When you book your travel on a private jet, you give yourself access to many benefits you won’t find when flying commercial. Yet, you receive them at a fraction of the cost. Now, that’s quite a large benefit.
Empty Leg Trip Specials at The Early Air Way
If you are looking for empty leg flight specials, The Early Air Way has you covered with a list of all available options listed on our website. Of course, signing up for our Empty Leg Alerts is also a great way to stay in-the-know.